Friday, August 10, 2007

1998 wasn't the hottest year ever? No way!

There are reports from the good people at climateaudit.org and
norcalblogs that the nasa finding that 1998 was the hottest year ever wasn't true,
it was a y2k bug that caused the calculation to be wrong and it was
really 1934 that was the hottest year ever.

I know that can't be true because I started a job working outside
in may 1998, and I can tell you that it was hot. I was sweating through
coveralls until I left salt rings. At the time I was calibrating oilfield
logging tools that use radioactive sources, so on several occasions I
didn't know if I was having a heat stroke or it was just a neutron headache.
I found the only cure was to drink a twelve pack of bud light after getting
off work, so I'd get that good dehydrated/radioactive/budlight buzz.

So even though I wasn't alive back in 1934, there is no way that it was
hotter back then. if it was hotter back then, then the universe wouldn't
be rotating around me. I know that right here right now there's no other
place I'd rather be, and so everything must be at a maximum right now,
dammit, or else I'm just a mortal, and I'll croak and the world won't be destroyed
because of my consumption.

Oh well, pass a bud light would you?

No comments: